- Start a Project
- Planning Guide
Planning a new playground is an exciting experience, but can seem like a daunting task.
Your efforts in planning this investment for your community is well worth your time, and Playcraft Systems is here to assist you every step of the way. We've outlined the following six steps of planning to get you started. If you have any questions or concerns along the way, our consultants are always happy to assist you.
6 Steps of Planning a Playground
Step 1: Core Factors
During this step, you need to determine the purpose of this playground. The following questions are just a few that should be answered:
- What is the budget for this project?
- What are the dimensions of the space for this project?
- What is the age range of the children who will use the equipment?
- How many children should the playground accommodate at once?
- What other factors need to be included in this project?
(e.g. Surfacing, installation, site amenities)
Step 2: Design
Once you know your core factors, you can start looking at the design. At this point, you should start thinking about what you want this playground to look like.
- Should it take a modern appearance, or do you prefer a more traditional style?
- Do you want a variety of freestanding items throughout the site?
- What colors would you like throughout the equipment?
- Is there any particular equipment you would like to see in the playground, or is there equipment you would not like to see?
Step 3: Budgeting
After you have designed your desired playground, you have to determine how you will budget for it. If the budget is already in place, then great, move on to Step 4. However, if you only have part of the budget, start reviewing Playcraft's fundraising and financing options.
Step 4: Placing the Order
It's time to make a purchase. Verify that your playground design is exactly what you want, including the colors of the equipment. Then, contact your local Playcraft Consultant as they will help guide you through Playcraft's online ordering system.
Step 5: Installation
It is time to break ground on your new playground! Choose what works best for you from the options below:
- Certified Playcraft Installer - Playcraft has authorized install teams worldwide to handle your entire project's installation. Sit back and relax as this turn-key service takes care of every aspect of the installation and only leaves you to plan the grand opening.
- Community Build - A community build installation is led by a well-trained Playcraft installer working with a group of volunteers to install the equipment. This option has the capability of saving you a little on the overall installation budget, but puts you in the driver seat of arranging and coordination the volunteers, tools, and equipment required for the project.
Contact your Local Playcraft Consultant to determine what install option is right for your project.
Step 6: Maintenance
The playground is installed and your community is enjoying the fruit of your labor. However, the project is not completely over. Routine maintenance is crucial in any playground and can help the longevity of the equipment, along with the safety of the community. With every Playcraft playground, you will receive a routine maintenance schedule and a robust maintenance kit to assist your team and keeping care of your new playground.
At Playcraft Systems, we offer you peace of mind in regards to your next playground project. Our consultants will work alongside your team every step of the way to verify we meet or exceed all of your requirements and that you feel satisfied with your purchase. Playcraft Systems consultants excel at providing design layouts, posters, links to fundraising assistance, and an industry leading warranty.
Need a playground, but unsure how to budget it? Playcraft Systems offers a wide range of fundraising tips and guides to start you off in the right direction. We can also provide a list of current grant opportunities.
See Our Purchasing Contracts >
A playground should welcome all children to engage in play. To facilitate inclusion, design is a crucial factor. During the design phase, we can ensure that key considerations are made to ensure a variety of play types, accessibility to the play area, and maneuverability throughout the site. These considerations will also include surfacing.
From design principles
You realize how much design affects our perceptions and experiences. We understand how our environment influences how we engage, learn and develop. A playground is a social space that provides a wide variety of developmental opportunities for children. We’ll work with you to help you design for all children in ways that respect and honor everyone’s abilities while offering fun and exciting new challenges. We also offer a variety of resources that can help ensure an exciting, compliant playground that will hold children’s interests and stand the test of time.